Thanks to Charles Russell for sending this one in:
Intermediate to Advanced Road Ride / 46 miles / approx 1150′ elevation climb
If you want to practice your climbing skills, this is a ride you should try. For anyone unfamiliar with Turnbull Canyon, it’s a great climb into the hills above Whittier. This ride is a great offshoot from the San Gabriel River Trail. You can ride the whole course, or, just ride the hills If you’d like to create an endurance workout.
From the San Gabriel River Trail:
- Exit at Dunlap Crossing and head east, turns into Mines Blvd.
- Make a left at Glengarry and a right on Hadley
- Take Hadley for 2 miles past Painter and make a left on Alta
- In 1/2 mile take a right on Beverly which turns into Turnbull Canyon.
- When you reach the top at Skyline Dr. you can make a left and tour the hillside neighborhood, or continue on Turnbull and head down hill.
- As you continue, Turnbull turns into Las Lomitas, and then into Tetley
- When Tetly hits Hacienda Blvd I like to head back to the River Trail. If you add the Skyline Loop this adds a nice 22 mile hill-side ride to your course.
- If you want to continue the marked ride, here is the original Garmin Track to plan the rest of your trip. Enjoy!
Disclaimer – Ride at Your Own Risk
This website provides information for the public on bicycling opportunities in the Southern California region. The user of this information assumes all risk for any injuries or difficulties that may result. Bicycling can be a dangerous activity and regardless of what is presented on this website, users always engage in recreational activities at their own risk. Bicyclists using this website and related links and materials assume the responsibilities and risks for their own safety when bicycling on the suggested roads, routes, loops and trails.